Tuesday, October 31, 2006

what is swift 3d for?

I have a 3d/web background. It seems I would be the perfect person to put Swift3d to good use. I was very excited when I heard the concept, “3-d delivered through .swf”. It sounds great. The only problem is that Swift3d has been hanging around for a couple years and I still haven’t found a super practical use for this seemingly useful app.

I have been inspired by some uses of the product, such as the tokyoplastic website. But other than a nice portfolio piece, I’ve found few useful applications for this product. E-rain hasn’t produced a case study worth a second look. Here is the best thing I could come up with. A simple rotating character. With the way flash video going these days the only benefit Swift has is the scalability, which I must admit is pretty cool. Vector lines in 3d that can scale to any size must have some practicle application, but the only thing I could come up with is a rotating character. Be sure to drag the window to see the vector animation scale.

Any practical ideas out there for this application?

No comments: