Tuesday, October 31, 2006

mlb gamecast

Whew! We just got through a tough one with the Padres, or as Cate likes to call them the St. Louis Browns. Luckily Sir Albert served up a crucial homerun in the 8th. And the little guy made an appearence, didn’t do much, but it was good to see him out there. All the while we were fighting for our lives, Pittsburgh and Houston battled it out in a marathon. I watched my redbirds on FSN and I had my eye on the Houston game on my lap through ESPN’s MLB gamecast to make sure they stayed at least a full game back.

This gamecast is one hell of a way to watch a game. Perfect for stats junkies or someone (like me) who like to follow games at work but don’t want to have full blown audio or video pipin’ through the computer.

The ESPN MLB game cast is a thing of beauty. Masterfully built though a delicious flash interface, this application delivers real-time stats in a perfect sized window. Not to be confused with what mlb.com has going on. They have a similar format, but this espn version is glossy, easy to follow, and even has animated plays. I’d be interested to see what’s under the hood. Possibly a Flash communication server? Slide-Show Pro claims to have some kind of stake in the process but where or how much is not quite clear. With any luck I will be making similar kick arse flash apps at my new gig.

Next time you need to catch a game at work, check out this page and click gamecast on any one of the active games. It’s a great way to experience a game. Does anyone know if they provide a similar service for pigskin? I’m guessing not enough audience b/c more people can get infront of a TV on sundays.

No comments: